Temaki is a sushi hand-roll, with nori seaweed, rice, various other ingredients (usually a type of fish and some vegetables) and shaped like a cone! In many ways, it is similar to a taco and meant to be eaten with one's fingers, so you won't be needing any chopsticks to enjoy these temaki rolls!
In this recipe, we will show you how to make two temaki flavours using the same fish, salmon, but featuring two different sauces: one being "poke", inspired by the Hawaiian raw fish salad dish, and the other sauce being a spicy mayo. Please enjoy our recipe and good luck with recreating it!
IngredientsAverage 45 m 4 serving
- 1 cup freshly cooked and seasoned Sushi Rice (HOW TO COOK SUSHI RICE RECIPE HERE)
- Sweet rice Vinegar "Sushisu"
- 2 sheets dried Nori Seaweed
- 150g fillet of sushi-grade salmon
- Yaegaki Japan Sake 15%
For the Salmon Poke (2 temaki)
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Gochugaru (hot pepper flakes), more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- Crushed macadamia nuts
- Sea salt
- 1/2 sliced avocado cut into cubes
- Takuan pickled radish strips
For the Spicy Salmon (2 temaki)
DirectionsPrep 20 m Cook 25 m
- If you haven't already, cook the short-grain rice in a rice cooker or pot, then season it while still hot to absorb the vinegar mixture. Follow this recipe to learn how to season rice for sushi
- For this step, make sure that your hands are completely dry, as you will be handling the nori. Cut each nori sheet in the middle, into two parts. You should now have 4 pieces of nori and we are going to make two temaki of each flavour!
- To prepare the salmon, lightly rub it with some sake, to kill any possible bacteria and ensure that the salmon is safe to eat raw. Next, divide the fillet into two equal parts, since we are making two different flavours of temaki. If you only want to do one, just choose which flavour you want but double the ingredient amounts for the respective sauce.
- For the Salmon Poke temaki, cut the salmon into thick chunks and place it in a bowl. Add the garlic, hot pepper flakes, soy sauce and sesame oil and stir to coat the salmon evenly.
- Shred the macadamia nuts using a knife or a hand grater.
- Time to assemble our Salmon Poke temaki! Clean and dry your hands again. Take one of the halved pieces of nori and spread the sushi rice (which should have completely cooled down) from the centre to the left, except for a small triangle in the upper corner as shown in the photo below.
- Place the salmon poke diagonally from the lower centre of the nori where the rice starts, pointing to the middle of the nori triangle we have left empty. Add the Takuan pickled radish strips (1-2 to taste), the avocado and sprinkle with the grated macadamia nuts.
- Start rolling the nori from the bottom left into a cone shape. Put a few rice grains at the bottom right corner to help the end of the nori adhere to the cone and continue rolling until it feels secure and the shape holds well.
- Repeat the process (steps 6-8) for the second temaki. Your 2 Salmon Poke temaki are complete! You can sprinkle some sesame seeds for presentation - we used black sesame seeds in the photos below.
- Now to prepare the Spicy Salmon Temaki, finely dice the remaining of the salmon fillet using a knife and place into a small bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Sriracha sauce, 1,5 tablespoons of the Japanese mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and mix well.
- To assemble the Spicy Salmon temaki: Make sure your hands are dry and take one of the halved pieces of nori and spread the sushi rice (which should have completely cooled down) from the centre to the left, except for a small triangle in the upper corner as shown in the photo below.
- Place the spicy salmon and cucumber strips diagonally from the lower centre of the nori where the rice starts, pointing to the middle of the nori triangle we have left empty.
- Start rolling the nori from the bottom left into a cone shape. Put a few rice grains at the bottom right corner to help the end of the nori adhere to the cone and continue rolling until it feels secure and the shape holds well, as shown in step 8.
- Sprinkle with some sesame seeds and chopped green onions. Repeat steps 12-15 to make a second temaki with this filling. We are done!
We hope that you enjoy these two very different, but equally delicious temaki flavours! We would also like to recommend that you try making temaki with Tuna Poke as well - just use the same sauce ingredients but replace the salmon fillet with tuna!